Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Church Planning to Burn Korans on 9-11

As a follower of Jesus, I am extremely concerned when "fellow followers of Jesus" feel the need to take drastic action to make a point, like burning Korans.

I cannot in good conscience support this action. I have been struck again and again by the need to consider seriously the words of Jesus and the early church of "overcoming evil with good" and "when your enemy strikes you on the cheek, turn the other cheek so he may strike it also".

I have struggled mightily in my life between pacifism and fighting back. I still debate that in my heart. I do think there is a difference between the actions of the church and the actions of a government.

In this case, to burn Korans is to become the enemy. This is an action that will sow discord, hatred and fear in my opinion. We must overcome evil with good. Evil, not being Muslims, but evil being those who would want to enforce Sharia law upon humanity, overthrowing Western ideals like democracy and the rule of law providing equal access and freedom to express ideas like my own and contrary to my own.

Lord, please guide our church leaders to channel their frustration to righteous deeds and action.

No comments:

Post a Comment