Friday, May 7, 2010

Soup Kitchen Faith

Last night I was listening to Brian Fenimore explain the Christian Worldview to our friends at The Centre in Wheatridge, CO., when I got this "picture" in my mind.
  The first part of the picture was of a rich man going into a soup kitchen, and then leaving with his nice, hot bowl of soup. Then the next picture was of a poor woman, who went into the soup kitchen and began making the soup, and then served the soup to those who came in. People were spilling the soup, and some were saying rude things, while others were happy to have the soup. The woman just smiled through it all.
In wondering what this could all mean, it finally hit me. We in America and the West in general have a "receive" mentality that makes us basically happy to have just our little personal portion of spirituality, while God's view is that we have a "generosity" mindset that sees that it is truly much more blessed to give than to receive. Even if people do not receive or are thankful at all for what they do receive, the point is not "to have soup" but "to serve soup."
  What do you think of my soup kitchen picture/parable?

2 comments:

  1. I dig this!!!! It is truly much more blessed to give than receive...but sometimes it is harder, but in light of eternity...and in light of the Great Servant...He provokes me to be more like Him, though I fall short daily...I still get up and desire to be like Him...the one that makes soup for all, for all of eternity and daily:)...good word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Cliff. I think that is worth meditating on.

    ReplyDelete