Thursday, September 2, 2010

Front row students

After paying an unannounced visit to my sons' classrooms, I couldn't help but inquire of them how it is that both ended up being placed immediately adjacent to their teachers desks. Ten-year-old Jon explained that his teacher thought he might need that in order to focus on the tasks at hand. I noted that his teacher seemed like the type not to put up with clowning around. Jon agreed and said she is "really good about that." I asked him, "you mean you respect her for not putting up with your silliness?" He said yes, he did. We then had a good discussion about how kids need to know that adults care enough about them to not let them run over them. Those adults who do allow children to just always do what they want, are really giving the kids a message that they do not care.

Nine-year-old Greg then noted that teachers put kids in the front row who have demonstrated that they need to be "kept an eye on." I asked Greg if it was really true that he put up two fingers behind the teacher's head (making rabbit ears) while walking behind the teacher. He said yes, that is the reason he is now in the front row.



It was while paying my daily visit to the Washington Rebel blog, that I came across this parody from The Onion News, which reminded me to post about my discussion with my sons about being front row students.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Bob. I went to "Back to School" night last night at my daughters' elementary school. I found a lot of caring teachers and parents. I have the other struggle. We care, our Charter School cares, the teacher cares and my daughters are thus far good students. But life will step in and one day my daughters though good students will find a teacher or a boss who "doesn't give a shit about them". That will be the day their character will be tested and we will see what they are made of. Enjoyed the video very much and made me laugh at a very well done parody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for the days when the only things kids got into trouble over were chewing gum and running in the halls...

    ReplyDelete