Saturday, April 24, 2010

Triangle Exclusive! - Behind the Scenes of Cliff Stewart Case

As earlier reported, Cliff Stewart had the two charges leveled against him dropped, and all fines dropped as well. Now the exclusive background story to this epic case:

TRIANGLE: Cliff, we know you are really relieved to have justice in this matter, tell us how it feels right now.
CLIFF:  Wow, man, like, it totally feels, like, totally awesome. Awesome! (Sips from coffee cup. gulps.)
TRIANGLE: So, Cliff, how did you end up in this situation in the first place?
CLIFF: Do you mean, how could something so mundane become so ridiculously IDIOTIC? I'll tell you how. It's the education system, man, you know what I mean? We've got a bunch of idiot-stick people with authority and guns, and they can't even be reasonable and make a simple decision, especially if they make a mistake. They don't know how to think anymore, know what I mean?
TRIANGLE: Yeah...Uh...Right, Umm, let's get back to the story, OK?.
CLIFF: Right, sorry man. It's the caffeine talkin'. I am really buzzin' right now! Anyway, I was driving home from the old Wally-World. It was a late shift. I got off at 11 o'clock and was headed home down Parker Road when I get pulled over by a Parker police officer. There was no one out on the roads and it was getting cold out that night, I remember that.
TRIANGLE: Parker? I thought the ticket was from Arapahoe County?
CLIFF: Yeah, I know. It's confusing. I'm sitting there trying to get the car to warm up and waiting for the officer to talk to me. After ten to fifteen minutes of just sitting there, an officer comes to my door and does the usual request for license, insurance, registration. I comply, handing him my stuff when he explains the reason he pulled me over. "Sir, do you know that your license plate lights are extinguished? I couldn't see your license plate at all. It is completely dark back there!" So asked, "Completely dark? You mean there are no lights working in the the back at all?" "Uh, No sir, just the license plate lights."
TRIANGLE: What were you thinking at that point?
CLIFF: What was I thinking? I was thinking, "Well. then, you must have better things to do, so...let's get a move on." He went back to his car, and I waited. Another police car came up behind and just sat there as well. I was beginning to think, "Oh my God, I look like some murder suspect or something. Why do they need two cop cars out here at midnight?" At this point I am scared to death. What the f*** can be going on that this is taking so long. I have to pee!" Anyway, so we sit there another ten minutes or so, and then ANOTHER cop car slowly drives up next to my car. THREE COP CARS! Holy shit! I must really be in some deep doo-doo! Thankfully for my bladder, the officer, this time from Arapahoe County, says "Sir, we have a message from the DMV that says that your license has been revoked. Were you aware of this?" Uh, No!" I said. "Yes, apparently you failed to pay a ticket back in October, and so they revoked your license."
TRIANGLE: What was your response?
CLIFF: I said, "Well, I paid that ticket and I can prove it right now." I handed him the receipt for the paid ticket from Arapahoe County , and a paper with a Judge's signature saying the same thing, only officially.
TRIANGLE: Game over, right? Did he let you go home after that?
ClIFF: Yeah, right! Uh...No. He said "Well, I know that you paid this ticket, and I also know that it probably wasn't reported or handled properly, but I'm going to have to confiscate your license, Sir." At this point, I have gone from cooperative to slightly steamed. OK, more like officially really steamed. He explained that I should have my situation taken care of at the DMV, and not to miss the court date.
TRIANGLE: So what became of all this?
CLIFF: Well, basically, the State of Colorado held my driver's license for ransom. I had to go in and get a new license, to the tune of $121.00, all because of a charge that was proven false and dismissed.
TRIANGLE: Well, do you feel that justice was done in the end?
CLIFF: H-E-double hockey sticks NO! Here's what shoulda happened, right? The officer pulls me over and says "Hey, did you know that your lights for your license plate are out? Better get those fixed or I'll have to give you a ticket! Have a good night!" But, since some idiot bureaucrat didn't fill in a form right or put it in the wrong pile no doubt because of her addiction to psychotropic antidepressants , I had to waste a bunch of time, money and effort having to prove to them their own mistake. Brilliant! God bless America!
TRIANGLE: So do you think you've learned something from all this?
CLIFF: Yes. Evil will not destroy our society, stupidity will.
  

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I think it is the combination of evil and stupidity.

    ReplyDelete