Monday, March 14, 2011

I Arise: Ancient Paths To Prayer With Power - God's Power


God's Power


I arise today 
through the power of God:   
God's might to comfort me,   
God's wisdom to guide me,   
God's eye to look before me,   
God's ear to hear me,   
God's word to speak for me,   
God's hand to lead me,   
God's way to lie before me,   
God's shield to protect me,   
God's Heavenly Host to save me   
from the snares of the devil,   
from temptations to sin,   
from all who wish me ill,  
 from near and afar,   
alone and with others.


The next section of Saint Patrick's Breastplate focuses on God's promises to each of us. God has promised many things to His sons and daughters in His word, and it is good to affirm and remind yourself of God's provision and goodness in your life. When we claim these promises for ourselves we declare and proclaim the Kingdom reality that exists in the here and now. What natural son or daughter would fear to appropriate the benefits of living amongst their own fathers? They simply go to the refrigerator and pull out what they need. They walk up to Dad and ask "Can I have twenty bucks to go to do movies? Thanks, Dad!" And off to the movies she goes. As my friend Ben Pasley has said, "The Kingdom of God is family." I agree with him and would add that that is true both vertically in our relationship with God, and horizontally in our relationship with one another. In fact much of the provision from God is though our brothers and sisters. Really. I think the best way to see God's provision of His promises is to list appropriate promises after each statement so you can see them, realizing these are promises from an infinite, eternal, unwavering Source.


I arise today through the power of God  
2Pet. 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 
2Tim.1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.


God's might to comfort me,
Col. 1:11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 


God's wisdom to guide me
Col. 2:3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 


God's eye to look before me,
Psa. 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;I will guide you with My eye.


God's ear to hear me,
Psa. 55:17 Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. 
Psa. 145:19 He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. 
Prov. 15:29 The LORD is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous. 
John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 
1John 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.


God's word to speak for me,
Is. 55:8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
     Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. 
Is. 55:9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
     So are My ways higher than your ways,
     And My thoughts than your thoughts. 
Is. 55:10 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
     And do not return there,
     But water the earth,
     And make it bring forth and bud,
     That it may give seed to the sower
     And bread to the eater, 
Is. 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
     It shall not return to Me void,
     But it shall accomplish what I please,
     And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.


Eph. 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,     


God's hand to lead me, 
Is. 48:17 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer,     
     The Holy One of Israel:     
“I am the LORD your God,     
Who teaches you to profit,     
Who leads you by the way you should go.
Psa. 25:12 Who is the man that fears the LORD?
     Him shall He teach in the way He chooses. 
Psa. 25:13 He himself shall dwell in prosperity,
     And his descendants shall inherit the earth.


God's way to lie before me,
Psa. 16:11 You will show me the path of life;
     In Your presence is fullness of joy;
     At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. 
Psa. 25:4 Show me Your ways, O LORD;
     Teach me Your paths
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.


God's shield to protect me,
Psa. 3:3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
     My glory and the One who lifts up my head. 
Psa. 3:4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
     And He heard me from His holy hill.
Eph. 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 
Eph. 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.


God's Heavenly Host to save me
Psa. 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. 
Psa. 103:20 Bless the LORD, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word. 
Psa. 104:4 Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of fire.


So, by my count there are about thirty promises here of the 8,000 in scripture. That’s a good start…


Let’s pray the Breastplate!

No comments:

Post a Comment