Saturday, March 26, 2011

On the Road to Damascus

My husband and I went to the movie "Paul" last night. Paul is an alien who has been on Earth for 40 years or so, kept as a 'guest/prisoner' by the government. He escapes and is joined by two English men who are on a ComiCon tour of the US. They are joined by a fundamentalist Christian girl who drops all her beliefs because of Paul.

Apparently, you can't hold on to your Christian beliefs if you are told by an alien there is no God. So you partake in drugs, sex, cussing and drinking...because the alien said there is no God.

Stupid. The movie could have been really good. But unfortunately, it took the view that 'Christians' are dim-witted, weak-minded individuals who can only see the Earth as 4,000 years old, only believe in Creationism, and people are the only higher-level beings created by God. And oh, yeah, you cling to your Bible and your gun. (The Bible, oddly enough in the movie, saved a Christian man from a bullet.)

Hmmm...I'm a Christian. I believe in evolution (which I think makes God the greatest programmer of all times), and I think it's entirely possible there are aliens out there. I drink, cuss, and yes, I enjoy sex. Just not with a bunch of people. I'm kind of private that way. No drugs, though. Don't like handing control over that way, thankyouverymuch.

Yes, there are ignorant Christians out there who won't take a 'leap of faith' that science is real. But we're not all like that. And I am a big sci-fi fan who was very disappointed by the movie's view of Christianity. Hell, I'm not asking you to believe in my God, and neither to I condemn you for not believing.

Neither am I asking Hollywood to make nothing but Christian movies. I go to movies to escape...and it's hard to escape when I'm being told I'm stupid. I don't have blinders on...I just have faith. So I'll just take my Bible and my gunS (yes, plural) and go. It's a shame...my money spends just as good as an atheist's. I guess I'll just be taking mine elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud reading this post! Sorry it took so long to get to it. You rock, Mrs. Who! Tell us the truth we need it.

    ReplyDelete