Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Small Beginning

June 19. 2010, a day which will live in memory as, well, a really long day in my history. 
Brian Fenimore, my friend and mentor, had suggested I have a series of meetings with our friends in Pueblo who have a ministry of bringing speakers to the area called The Living Room. Sheila Cesario brings people to her home and the Kingdom comes. Sheila and I had also tried to get something started, and this summer seemed to be the good starting point. 
I had written and thought on the themes of personal renewal and revival on my personal website for a couple of years, so I thought that would be a good theme to start with in this setting, so I took the notes I had from those writings and moved them into Powerpoint slides and I was off to the races. I also had a short 40-page e-book ready to announce the release of, and I had registration cards and business cards to hand out as well as a handout of the notes. 
This is the first lesson in ministry, nothing ever goes as planned; not a thing. When I got into my car, I realized that someone had broken into it sometime overnight. Everything in my car was strewn all over the car. I just laughed, because there was nothing for them to steal. Once I got to Pueblo I drove up to the place and there was construction going on that blocked most of the way to the meeting place. When I met with Sheila, she was surprised to see me there early, and began to apologize. She said that there were two really big conferences going on in town this weekend and that it might just be the two of us at the meeting this time. Undaunted, I continued to stay focused. The first thing to do was setup my laptop and monitor and get all of the paperwork out and ready to go, as well as the setup of the stereo for a short worship time. As soon as all of this was done people began to arrive and even those who said they would not be there showed up anyway. 
Immediately Sheila presented her young family member(can't remember the relation) LeAnn to me to pray for her. I prayed and prophesied over her about the significance of her own destiny and that she has an ability to impart counsel and wisdom to others. I said that I felt that God had a special plan to bless her and to give her a future and a hope. She is a hair stylist, and I encouraged her with the idea that this is a good business to be in during difficult times, and that she was at her current job to learn everything about the business to eventually have her own shop. LeAnn seemed encouraged and left to go to work very happy and strengthened in the Lord, I believe.
By this time everyone had arrived, so we began with some Celtic worship. The presence of the Lord was very tangible as we prayed for God to come and touch us in revival and renewal, using the refrain from Psalm 119 "Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word. Revive me O Lord, according to your judgments. Revive me, O Lord, according to your lovingkindness."
When we had finished worship, I transitioned to the teaching time. Before that, though, one of the ladies, Virginia, felt led to pray for me and anoint me with oil. I was greatly encouraged with the power and sincerity of her prayer, which was a release of anointing to teach and favor to minister to those assembled. I really felt God's hand on this, and sensed it was His final endorsement for my ministry to go forward. I had asked the Lord, on the way to the meeting, that if I was called to this that He would confirm it somehow, and that if I was deceived somehow or just promoting myself, that He would make that clear as well. 
I fired up Powerpoint and announced the beginning of Restoration Ministries. I showed everyone the web sites I have been running, JavaJazzJesus and the Kingdom Triangle Network News Service.  Then I began to teach about "Perspectives on Revival." This was a teaching about what revival is and isn't. I taught about God's purpose in revival, and the aspect that revival is both personal and corporate, both intentional and sovereign, and that God's ultimate purpose in revival is the proclamation of the Kingdom in all of it's aspects. I especially emphasized the idea that revival is a personal experience with God, and led everyone to the point of seeing it as an opportunity to pray the prayer "Revive me. O Lord." 
Several times people seemed to comment that they had all been in a season of slumber or stasis, just going through the motions with regard to their walk with God, but all also seemed to sense the Holy Spirit awakening their hearts and spirits to a new refreshing and renewal in the things of God. 
I prayed for and ministered prophetically to several people at the end of the meeting. 
I prayed for Virginia, and encouraged her that, just as she had prayed and laid hands on me for impartation, that she had a real duty to pass on the blessing given to her in her life, that she has a depth of character and holiness and purity that the young people of today do not possess but desperately need, and that she should consider it a duty to lay hands on and bless as many as possible in this next season.
When I prayed for Veronica, I saw a picture of her rising up in the Spirit, and I sensed God calling to her to "Arise, Veronica. Arise!"
Jewel was a lady that had been through a difficult time of loss recently, and the Lord gave me a picture of a shepherd's crook, or rod, which he had laid across her. I sensed the Lord saying to her that she has a call to walk with those who are going through times of difficulty. The phrase I think was that she was a helper of those who are going "through the valley." I also encouraged her that, when others don't seem to be there for her, that that is the time when the Lord is pleased to walk with her alone, drawing near to her in a special way.
I prayed for Celeste, who I saw in a picture striking a church bell in the top of the steeple of a church. I said that I felt that she has a gift of drawing people to Jesus, and an uplifting spirit that lifts others to be joyful and encouraged. The word "acceptance" came to mind, and I spoke that word over Celeste. I said that God was bringing to her mind and heart an understanding of her total acceptance in Christ, and that anything that was not in alignment with this powerful acceptance was broken off of her in the name of Jesus. I said that just as light removes darkness, that acceptance removes any rejection in her life that she may have experienced. 
Once I had finished praying with everyone I gathered up all of my equipment and bolted out the door. It was about 1 pm by then. Amazingly, I was only a couple of minutes late for work at 2:30 pm, and worked that night until 11:30 pm. Man, what a long day for my small beginning! I felt God was with me the whole time. And, I was able to listen to Seth Godin's audiobook "Tribes" all of the way through on the drive back and forth to Pueblo. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you decided to share this, Cliff. The concept of acceptance is a powerful one to me; that God's love, grace and Holy Spirit can actually remove the rejection we may have experienced as we slogged along stumbling through our lives.

    ReplyDelete