Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thoughts on...Prager's "God And Congress"

I was challenged to do things differently by Dennis Prager's article entitled "God and Congress." He mentioned the fact that the motto "In God We Trust" is engraved in stone over the Speaker's podium and that when the President does his State of the Union address he is looking at a statue of Moses. I had never seen either of these things before and so I looked for pictures of them on them web, and so here they are:








I also found out that along with Moses there are reliefs of twenty two other famous lawgivers on the Chamber wall. I just think that is really cool. The one thing you notice is that all eleven of the lawgivers on the right and the left all look to the center point where Moses, as the first and chief lawgiver of history is situated. 
I was also challenged to go ahead and watch the State of the Union address on C-SPAN instead of my usual "fair and balanced" choice. It was neat to get the whole thing, with all of the ceremony and pomp and circumstance.  I threw in my two cents and jeers, and I think one cheer, and turned over to my usual choices for commentary afterword. Overall, Mr. Prager's recommendations were very helpful and educational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment