Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kingdom Triangle Prayer Guide For The Elections!


It's less than a week before the big election here in the States, and if you're like me you've been praying about it, a lot! It seems that many of the same things have happened that occur during political campaigns in general. Accusations back and forth have been thrown between the two major parties and everyone is sure that the other side is to blame. You know, the guys on the other side, right? 
"Throw the bums out!" 
"No, keep the bums in! Uhh, well, you know what I mean!"
My favorite part of all of this has been the homemade signs with the misspelled words on them. Look folks, if you're going to be insulting and/or intimidating on a sign, at least you could spell the words right: it's h-i-t-l-e-r, not h-i-l-t-e-r, OK! 
Uh, where were we? Oh, yeah, prayer! So whose side is God on in this? According to Joshua, the famous military commander of scripture, the answer is: Neither! Get over it! Go read it for yourself if you think I'm lying. It's in Joshua chapter 5, at the end of the chapter. Go ahead. I'll wait.
See, I told you! 

Anyway, what is really going on is something more like the prodigal son story. Only the Democrats are the sons who came back to waste the family fortune, while the Republicans are the ones that are p***ed off about not being able to have their own exclusive victory party. "Oh, by the way, Dad, the reason I couldn't come in to the party is that I have been busy wasting the family fortune trying to build it. You understand, right? You know, on second thought, I think I will come in to that party. I need a drink! Bartender! Hey look, it's Barney Frank! Drinks are on the house! Barney's paying!"

I kid! I kid!

But, fatherlessness has gotten us here, you know. When our leaders are fatherless and fathers are mocked and disrespected as a rule we set ourselves up for following almost anyone with an ear-tickling message. Been there, done that! Now let's move on, shall we. 

First, we have to regain a sense of the goodness of life and turn back to the faith of our fathers. We have lost our basic trust in God and one another, and we must move forward to a deeper level of understanding the life we live by rediscovering our purpose, potential and destiny. Connection to God leads to purposeful living from a selfless standpoint, allowing us to tap all of the resources within us and resulting in a fulfilled life. We need to return back to faith in all of it's aspects.

Next, we need to restore trust. This really is huge. Our government and our respected leaders in politics and business have broken our trust in them. Every one of them seems to be reaching out to say "It wasn't me, I swear!" while simultaneously reaching into our pockets to steal whatever they can. The conservatives did it with deregulation and wild, out of control greed, and the liberals did it with dirty politics and back room double dealing. No one is innocent in this. NO ONE! In order to restore trust there must be an acknowledgment of breach of trust and a clear plan to regain trust. What will it take to turn this around? I don't know, but it might look something like a restoration of honor and respect. 

Thirdly, there must be a restoration of justice. We live in a time of deep consequence of our own selfishness and greed. We must admit our part in enabling this situation and see that those who robbed or stole are dealt with and also those who took advantage of the situation are dealt with as well. Our trust in leadership will not be complete until there is justice. Vengeance, however, belongs to God alone. 

Now, because I lack objectivity in a lot of all this, I like to use words from scripture and prayers and hymns that have been penned by people who have been through more than any of us have.

After the physical, moral and spiritual devastation of WW I, a man wrote the following poem that I have been praying:
   
Almighty Father, who dost give
the gift of life to all who live,
look down on all earth's sin and strife
and lift us to a nobler life.

Lift up our hearts, O King of kings,
to brighter hopes and kindlier things,
to visions of a larger good,
and holy dreams of brotherhood.

The world is weary of its pain,
of selfish greed and fruitless gain,
of tarnished honor, falsely strong,
and all its ancient deeds of wrong.

Hear thou the prayer thy servants pray
uprising from all lands today.
And, o'er the vanquished powers of sin,
O bring thy great salvation in!
(by John Howard Bertram Masterman, 1922)

I've been praying through two bible passages. The first one is fairly straightforward:

2Chronicles 7:14 "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

The second passage is King David's response after having been discovered in acts of adultery, murder and the cover up of that murder:

Psalm 51 
For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 

I hope this helps you pray through this time in our nation. Just remember to let God be God, and leave the results to Him. He is able to restore us in faith, trust and justice.

 And don't forget: use your powers for good and not evil. 

1 comment: