Monday, July 5, 2010

Can you handle this Declaration?


"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."  

Bob, of Bob's Blog, recently put up a link to the Declaration of Independence, and I was struck by the power of this document, and particularly the serious and almost sacred tone to it. Several times the document humbly claims and hopes for the direction of the Almighty. There is a respect for the ominous moment that history has brought them to, and they are aware that they may die and be destroyed, and even hunted down and killed as criminals. And in the clear understanding of this most awesome choice, they pledge also to one another, agreeing to pledge their very lives, fortunes, and sacred honor. 
And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The question came to me; "Could I have the fortitude and strength of spirit to make such a bold statement, and covenant to give my life, fortune, and sacred honor for my fellow countrymen?" My only answer is, honestly, I hope so. My own inner sensibilities tell me that we as a nation are not at our greatest, that we have become compromised in our real understanding of just how important the maintaining of liberty is, and how much real work and vigilance is required to be great enough to handle the level of character, courage and responsibility shown to us by our founders in the Declaration of Independence. The founders of our nation had a great well of strength to draw from in those days that I fear we have lost and need to regain. May the Almighty have mercy on us and allow us to see the way to the greatness of soul, spirit and mind that those men had. My prayer is simple: that we would all be able to handle this Declaration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment