Saturday, March 31, 2012

What Is God Like?- #14 - God Is Omnipresent






God is Omnipresent


    This last of the "omni" attributes is called Omnipresence,  and of all of the three this is probably the easiest to understand, but is still not as simple as just "being everywhere." Lets take a good look at Psalm 139: 7-12:
Psa. 139:7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
Psa. 139:8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 
Psa. 139:9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
Psa. 139:10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
Psa. 139:11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
Psa. 139:12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. 


    The first thing to notice is that God is actually present in every part of the universe(v.8). And secondly that God is available in each of those places(v.10). Furthermore, this can be said for every member of the Godhead. The Father is available and present in every part of the universe, and likewise the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Prophet Jeremiah quotes God as saying of Himself, “Am I only a God nearby,” declares the LORD, “and not a God far away? Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?” declares the LORD. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the LORD(Jer. 23:23-24). In the book of Acts Paul is explaining the kind of game of hide and seek that God plays with us by saying to his audience, "God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring’(Acts 17:27-28)." 
    I believe that as you understand God's omnipresence, and, in fact, all of His other aspects and attributes, you become ever more aware that you are always growing closer to the God that named you before you were ever born, and had a plan for every moment of your life. If you take the time to ask God to reveal His nature to you, I believe He will, gladly. And then you will know that you are never alone on the journey, and that your Guide on the journey is trustworthy and more than able to help you get from here to there, which is your place of fulfillment and destiny. 


 "This is what the LORD says — your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."  Is. 48:17



2 comments:

  1. Cliff,
    I am glad you are blogging again. I like your theology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bob! Apple is killing the service that JavaJazzJesus was on so I am posting them here. Glad you like 'em.

    ReplyDelete