Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day! Honoring those in my family who served

Today I want to thank the men and women who have given large parts of their lives, and even made the ultimate sacrifice for our country to be free. God bless you all.
Every day I am reminded that no matter what is going on in the world, these tireless protectors are always vigilant. I live near Buckley Air Force base, and every day I hear the sounds of jet fighters running practice and training flights, always staying ready to defend and protect. I then remember the days after 9-11 when the skies were eerily silent, except for the sounds of those jets screaming over our heads, reminding us that our liberty was intact because, though we had been wounded by cowardly attack, we were aroused to discover our strength again.
Division E, U.S.S. Hassayampa, circa 1962

Finally, I want to thank my family members who have served in the military over the years of my life. My Dad, Jesse L. Stewart, served as communications officer on several ships and destroyers during the rise of the tensions of the Cold War. He served aboard the U.S.S. Hassayampa during Operation Dominic, Joint Task Force Eight, known to all of us as the 1962 Nuclear Tests. They did twenty-four full tests in four months, and laid the ground work for the security and strength of the United States of America for the next several decades, and continuing on to today. Here is a picture of Division E on the Hassayampa, that's my Dad in the upper right corner. Here is the close up:

My brother served as a Hospital Corpsman, (pronounced Core-Man, Mr. President!) in the Navy and achieved the rank of Chief Petty Officer. 

He retired just last year after way too many years in the military. (Just kidding). He was the only doc on many ships on long voyages all over the globe.  I owe him an eternal debt for his service and am so proud to be his brother. He is a proven patriot. 
There are more in my family who served and I honor their sacrifice and service as well, but today I acknowledge the great service of my Dad, Jesse L. Stewart, and Steven Wade Stewart, my brother, who are just normal guys now, just working for a living and leaving the serving and protecting to the younger ones. Gentlemen, God bless you for your service. It's an honor to know such fine men!

No comments:

Post a Comment